Onions are a magnet for bacteria: Fact or Fiction? 5-12-14
May. 12, 2014
I was at my son's basketball camp today and someone said that the onion is a magnet for bacteria so you can leave on your kitchen countertop overnight and it will absorb all of the bacteria and mold. The next morning, just throw it away and you have a clean kitchen countertop. I thought that sounds fabulous. I have several recipes I use that call for about 1/2 of an onion. So I "Googled" this fabulous tip and found it to be fiction.
Dr. Joe Schwarcz of McGill University's Office for Science and Society stated that, "Unless you have sliced your onions on a contaminated cutting board, or handled them with dirty hands, you can safely put them in a plastic bag and store them and there will not be any bacterial contamination." Onions can't absorb bacteria. So unfortunately as easy as this would be to clean your kitchen it is a myth. Hopefully, if someone tells you this urban legend or sends it you, you will know it to be fiction and not throw away your onions. So save the onions for another day. Just another tip to save you time and money. Have a HOPtastic day!!!
comments powered by